Saturday, March 14, 2009

With A-Rod Out, Yankees Should Get Figgins

Alex Rodriguez has opted for surgery rather than to play the year hurt, which will leave him out until May. The Yankees have a few options on who should replace him. One is Cody Ransom. Another is Angel Berroa. There has been talk about trading for a third baseman. I like that idea, and I think that the Angels third baseman Chone Figgins would be a great option.

Figgins has experience at third base. He is the starter there for the Angels, and would be a very suitable replacement for A-Rod for a couple of months. I'm not just thinking of a couple of months though. I'm thinking about after that. 

Figgins is a speed guy. They have Gardner, but another guy with that kind of speed off the bench, or in the lineup could be very helpful. Playing everyday, Figgins can steel 50+ bases every year. Off the bench, he can be a very effective pinch runner. As a manager, another guy on the opposing team with that kind of speed can change the way he manages. Figgins can win the Yankees extra games without even doing anything. His speed can really be helpful.

He also is very versatile. He can play third, short, second, and anywhere in the outfield. When A-Rod comes back, Figgins doesn't have to move to the bench. If Gardner or Cabrera doesn't work out, Figgins can play center field. If Johnny Damon gets hurt, he can play left. If Jeter gets hurt, he can play short. You get the idea. His ability to play a number of different positions can really help the Yankees.

He is also young. He is only 30 years old. If you ask me, he has about 4 years of his prime yet. He can be helpful to the Yankees for the next bunch of years too. Johnny Damon is a free agent at the end of this season. The Yankees will need a new left fielder. They will want Matt Holliday, who is a great player. However, the Yankees won't have to pay nearly as much for Figgins, and Figgins brings a different style of baseball that may be more helpful to the Yankees. I would much rather have Figgins leading off next year in left field, than Matt Holliday in left field. He's a great player, but I don't want another power hitter. We've failed to win the World Series the last 8 years because we have payed money for sluggers. Giambi, Sheffield, and so on. I much better like the speed idea. We have 2 power hitters, so lets leave it at that. Lets go back to the small ball idea that got us to 6 World Series in 8 years. The winning by manufacturing a run with a single, a sac bunt, a stolen base, and a sac fly, instead of always waiting for the 3 run home run. Getting Figgins, I think, will get us a lot closer back to that idea.

So, there is my case. Figgins can fill in for A-Rod, be a solid pinch runner for the rest of this year, and then be our left fielder and lead off hitter for a few hitters after that. I have always liked Chone Figgins, and always hated it when he hit against us. However unlikely it is that this will happen, I think the Yankees should at least attempt to get him. I like his style. He is a gamer, and he is the type of player we need to build our first dynasty since the late '90s. 

What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Okay. I was against the idea of getting someone at third, because I did not like the thought of traded young talent for someone to fill in for 1 month TOPS. BUT I never thought of Chone Figgins. Like you said I HATE facing that guy. I love his style of baseball though. So that is a great thought and I find it funny no one had mentioned it on ESPN or the MLB network while talking about potential trades. The only thing is I don't think we really have anything that the Angel need. With Ervin Santana hurt they may be looking for a starter, but I still think the Yankees are not willing to deal Kennedy or Hughes.. They better not deal Aceves. So, yes chone figgins would be an awesome addition for all the things you mentioned, but like I said I don't think the Yankees are willing to give up what they have for it. You know the Angels would go for broke becuase the Yankees will look desperate. But you sound Yankee smart so i'm sure you already know that. I was just putting it out there. Great thought though.
    I will say this. That is the only trade I would be happy about though. Because I really like Cody and Angel to fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have Chone Figgins, but who would you give up to get him? No way do I give up on Hughes but I think we need to take a close look at Kennedy this spring and decide whether he has a shot at the rotation in the next few years. With CC, CMW, AJ, Joba still relatively young and Hughes and Aceves behind them where does Kennedy exactly fit in?

    Thankfully the Yanks have some decent pitching prospects down on the farm, Betances, Brackman, De La Rosa, Horne, and Heredia. They might be a ways off but I think Kennedy won't crack the rotation before those guys are ready.

    But, I don't think we'll be seeing Figgins in a Yanks uni anytime soon.

    Thanks for posting on my blog over at bleacherreport.com!

    ReplyDelete