Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Andy Pettitte to Return


Well, the Yankees and Andy Pettitte will be having a reunion after all. I posted earlier that I didn't think that the Yankees should bring him back because I didn't feel that he wanted to come back for a pay cut. I said that since he rejected the offer, another one shouldn't be on the table. However, another one was, and he took it. He took a 5.5 million dollar offer, and would have to pitch 210 innings and not get injured at all to get 12 million. 
This contract has made me see things in 2 ways. Either the guy is an idiot, or he really wants to pitch for the Yankees. I don't think he can pitch 210 innings next year, being a year older. He may have a better ERA, may have more wins, have a better batting average against, but he won't get 10 million if he doesn't pitch 210 innings. He may think he can, but I'm not sure if anyone else thinks he can. I guess he is an idiot and he wants to pitch for the Yankees. If he is going to take this offer, there is no reason why he didn't take the guaranteed 10 million dollar offer. But also, if he took the lower offer, I guess he does want to pitch here. And no question he helps the team. In my opinion, his return means the Yankees can go two ways.
The first is to go with a deep rotation of CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, Chein-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Joba Chamberlain. That is a pretty deep rotation when your number 5 pitcher had an ERA of under 3 during his short time as a starter last season. I say Joba is the number 5 because if the Yankees do it this way, Joba will be skipped to keep his innings down. That may very well be the best rotation in the American League. That is the first way they can go.
The second, as you may have guessed, involves putting Joba Chamberlain back in the bullpen. Permanently. This is the way I think would be better. I think that the kids need to be developed, and have the potential to be just as good as Chamberlain. I also think that out of all the kids, Chamberlain is the least durable, throws the most pitches to get people out, but is also the most dominant. We've seen what he can do in the bullpen. They only have to fill 7 innings with starters and other relievers, which, by the way, are pretty good. After that, if you have a lead, 99 times out of 100 the game is over (except, unfortunately, the one time it failed happened to be in the postseason). And when Rivera is gone, Joba can be closer and you will still have the end of the game locked down for another 15-20 years. This is the smartest way to go.
Well, Andy's return makes the Yankees better, and gives them different options. Hopefully, whichever option they take, it will be a championship team on the field in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment