Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yankees Should Not Resign Andy Pettitte

I have been a Yankees fan for years, and I have loved watching Andy Pettitte pitch. He has come up big in so many clutch games for the Yanks, and he is a great person. But I can honestly say that I don't think he will return too the Yankees, and nor do I want him to.

Not because of his second half performance last year, not at all. I have no doubt in my mind that he is capable of turning it around. Watching Mike Mussina in 2008 alone taught me that. No, I don't want him back because I think he does not want to be back.

I believe team chemistry is very important on a ball club. I think that everybody in the clubhouse should be there because they want to be there. Andy Pettitte seems to think that 14-14 with a 4.54 ERA, and an awful second half is worth 16 million. Well, just some news for you Andy, those numbers aren't.

If he really wanted to return, he would have accepted the 10 million offer within 24 hours, not ponder it for a month and then reject it. The Yankees offered him a more than fair deal, and if he wanted to be there, there would be no discussing this right now. Pitchers and catchers report in less than a month, and Andy still isn't signed. I think he is waiting for a team to finally agree with him, and when no team does, he will come crawling to the Yankees trying to work out that 10 million deal.

But that deal isn't there anymore.

And I don't think it should be there again. He should have taken it when he had the chance. So even if he does turn out to want to accept that offer, the Yankees shouldn't give it to him. Go with the kids, have some competition. Let them fill the number 5 slot. Your rotation is good enough now that you can afford that. It's cheaper, younger, and who knows? Maybe they will turn out to be better. My words to Andy Pettitte right now would be, "Thanks for the memories," but good bye.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment