Friday, January 23, 2009

Good Bye Yankee Stadium





Well, this is it. The Yankees front offices have officially moved out of Yankee Stadium today, and into the 1.3 billion dollar park across the street. Well, I guess it isn't official, because they don't get the keys until February 17th, but it is true that there will never be another event here again. For me, it is disappointing. I never liked it that they were moving into this new place. I believe that the atmosphere will never be the same again at this new park. None of the legends, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra, and so on, never will have played there. I think that the feel you get when you walk into the New Yankee Stadium will never be the same as it was before. I don't like it, especially since I have to watch Fenway Park (I've been there, really don't like it), Wriggly Field (Now that's a nice park), and Dodger Stadium (Never been there, if someone has tell me what it's like) still stand while the House That Ruth Built will no longer be up, and above them. Going to games at Yankee Stadium just wasn't the same as going to Fenway, or Toronto's Rogers Centre, or any other major league park. The atmosphere is much more intense, much more exiting. You get the feeling that special things are going to happen on every pitch, especially during a big game. You don't get that feeling anywhere else. My favorite moment, and it was hard to pick since there are so many, was probably Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 World Series, and the 2 miracles. That was really special, especially in that year, with the 9/11 tragedy. After that was Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, and in that game I knew something big was going to happen. It couldn't just end 5-2, something exciting had to happen, and then it did. They came back, and won on the Boone home run. The building had so many incredible moments that I really can't believe they are going to tear it down. I am going to miss it.
Feel Free to leave comments on your best memories on Yankee Stadium, and whether you think they should tear it down.

1 comment:

  1. I'll miss the days when the Yankees DOMINATE the baseball world for many years and they won all their 26 World Series titles in the Yankee Stadium that was built in 1922-1923.

    Sad to say but it's the end of the era but we should take these memories as an inspiration to the Yankees' new Stadium to be opened on their home opener 2 months from now (April 16).

    ReplyDelete