Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yankees Could Get Garcia

The New York Yankees have emerged as top candidates, along with the New York Mets, as favorites to land RHP Freddy Garcia, according to FOXsports.com. The Mets probably need him much more, as after Santana the Mets have nothing but question marks. The Yankees, however, need someone too.
The Yankees need a number 5 starter. The Yankees would like Andy Pettitte back, but as you already know I am against that. They also could use the kids, and have some competition from Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Alfredo Aceves, and even Phil Coke. They could pursue the trade market, and see if teams are fielding offers. They also could go, once again, back into the free agent and pursue guys still available, like Ben Sheets, and, Freddy Garcia.
I, for one, do not believe that he should be a Yankee. I have no problem with him as a person, but his health is a question. He hasn't pitched a full season in 2 years, and the last time he posted a good ERA was 3 years ago. The Yankees are already going to take a chance with AJ Burnett, hope Mariano Rivera has no lasting effects from surgery, and hope Joba Chamberlain can stay healthy as a starter. The Yankees need to start developing these young kids, the sooner they do it, the sooner they will develop. Getting Freddy Garcia will mean another year without the kids having a full year in the majors. Sacrificing young, cheap talent for another injury prone pitcher could wind up being a disaster. If they get him, and he gets hurt, it's another 5-10 million dollars wasted. I think they've wasted enough money the last bunch of years. In the last 10 years or so, every single free agent pitcher they have gotten, with the acception of Mike Mussina, has not lived up to expectations. I did not agree with the signing of AJ Burnett (if I had this blog when they got him, I would have written about it. I would have preferred Derek Lowe. I hope I'm wrong about Burnett), and I don't agree with the possible signing of Freddy Garcia. Go with the kids. Let them develop. They will regret it if they don't.

What do you think they should do?

2 comments:

  1. Yanks dont need Freddy although I wouldnt mind a minor league contract.

    ReplyDelete